1.04.2014

Wow, that was a year! Also, ginger.

Whelp, as you can see, the Year of Beans & Rice project didn't go quite as planned. I did have an excuse: A week after my last post, I subbed for a bass player in a local band, which led to playing bass in another band, which led to A BOYFRIEND! And we're even still together, almost ten months later. Who knew that leaving my couch could have such extensive repercussions?

Between that, and the fact that I am now the "weekend parent" and only have to cook for the boy a couple times a month, I spent much of 2013 not-cooking, a situation I am slowly trying to rectify. It's going to be painful -- I am so very used to not-cooking -- but there are several compelling reasons *cough* financial *cough* to nut up and get back in the kitchen.

This pic is from David Lebovit's blog.
Isn't it gorgeous?
To start off the new year (and hopefully new habits) I gotta share what I made yesterday. I was home sick from work and through some random combination of firing neurons and a questionable stomach, I decided to make ginger tea from the ginger root I had in the freezer*. First attempt was lackluster, but a little more searching turned up David Lebovitz's recipe for Fresh Ginger Syrup.

David Lebovitz has never let me down, and the perfect combination of just enough ginger on hand and way too much free time led to success. The only tricky part was determining when it was reduced enough. Next time I'll measure the depth of the water in the pan with a bamboo skewer and mark the halfway point to use as a gauge.

So far I've only used it to sweeten cups of green tea, and it's brilliant. I want to try it in sparkling water and in hot lemonade, but I have a feeling it's not going to last long enough for me to go buy lemons. I blame the virus, not my complete lack of self-control. :)

Long story way short, if you like ginger, this is well worth a try.

 *NOTE: Oh yes, you can keep whole ginger root in the freezer for a LONG time in a freezer-weight zip-top bag.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try it! I have some ginger in the freezer as we speak....I'll let you know how it goes. Glad you're writing again!

Unknown said...

I have made this! It is sooooooooo good. Makes a great hot drink in its own right. Also, cocktails.

Ginni Davis said...

I love ginger...can't wait to try it! I'm glad to hear ginger can keep a while (read: forever) in the freezer! ha

Connie said...

This sounds really good! I drink green tea often and would love to try it in that.

Evil Twin said...

Does this have anything to do with the fact that your BOYFRIEND is a ginger? Curious minds want to know!

Liz T. said...

Busted! That, and he gave me the virus. :)

Liz T. said...

Busted! That, and he gave me the virus. :)