12.11.2009

Here we go a-gain

Get it? a-GAIN? Heh.

The other day I got on the scale for the first time in a couple of weeks. As you may remember, my scale died so I am now using my SO's husband's scale, which weighs 6.5 pounds heavier than my old scale and probably three pounds heavier than is strictly accurate. Even taking that all into consideration, I found myself staring at a new all-time, non-pregnant, non-postpartum high. This is not good.

So the roller coaster has one again rocketed to the peak, as it seems to do every two years, which means it's time to figure out how to get it going down again. I refuse to try any more gimmicks or major lifestyle changes. I already know a LOT about what I should and should not do. I just have to figure out how to do it. Oh yeah, and I have to make myself move through space. That's going to be critical, especially as...

I have a MAJOR birthday in about a week. Which one? The one that brings an invitation in the mail to join a particular organization full of MUCH MUCH older people. I thought my last major birthday brought some physical changes, but from what I hear, I ain't seen nothing yet. I am considering this my last best chance to get my act together before I succumb to my genetic heritage, which, unfortunately, seems to come not from my mother's slimmer side, but my father's more pear-shaped side.

I am going to take advantage of this milestone as an excuse opportunity to buy a new toy. We're getting a Wii for Christmas and I simply had to have a Wii Fit Plus (w/Balance Board) because this magical device will fill all my exercise needs. OK, it won't, but it can't hurt and it looks like fun.

But yeah, new toys aside, I am disappointed. I can't even tell you how many times I have been at this point. And just as advertised, every time I reach a peak it's five pounds heavier than the last one and the gap between where I am and where I want to be gets a little wider. Just like my ass.

Will this time be different? I certainly hope so. I just have to figure out how to make it different without doing the same things over again and expecting a different outcome. I guess that means no new 'diet/nutrition' books, no bold declarations of major lifestyle changes.

How anti-climactic.
 

No comments: