12.05.2008

Friday

Discovery of the day: Apple-choco-p-b-icious

As you have already heard, I have a lot of apples at my house right now. I've been trying to find ways to get my son to eat more of them, and I recently discovered a dessert option he doesn't turn up his nose at.

Cut the apple in half, scoop out the core with a melon baller. Fill the hole in each half with peanut butter, as much as you'd like. I try to limit it to a tablespoon per apple half, just for calorie's sake.

(BTW, this is my normal breakfast, with a banana on the side.)

Melt an ounce, ounce and a half, of chocolate. I use the good stuff, the Callebaut chocolate I buy in bulk at the fancy pants grocery store.

Spoon the chocolate onto the cut halves of the apple. You can drizzle it on artfully or just smear it around. Let it sit for a minute, then NOM NOM NOM!

Acceptability factor: Pretty danged high, although he did eat the chocolate and peanut butter off his second half and tried to palm the fruit off on me. Not that I always eat his leftover food or anything. (blush)

I do keep chocolate on hand all the time. It's a habit left over from when I was really into baking and candymaking. I've learned that an ounce or so of good, bittersweet chocolate seems to stop just about any craving I have. It's powerful stuff!
 

No comments: