5.16.2008

Friday

Discovery of the day: The truth about edamame

I love edamame. I almost always have some on hand in the fridge and I try to bring some to work every day to cover my mid-afternoon munchies. I feel oh, so sophisticated, eating something so exotic and healthy instead of the dark chocolate grahams from Starbuck's. (OK, I still do that too, but not as often as I used to.)

But I recently realized the truth about edamame. Are you ready for this?
Edamame are soybeans!

Yeah, and soylent green is people. You knew that already. So what. But for those of us who grew up in the little post-WWII subdivisions that sprouted up smack-dab in the middle of pancake-flat, treeless corn and soybean fields in central Indiana, that's a big ole WTF?!?

Yes, edamame that I pay a couple of bucks a pound for in the frozen foods section are the same hairy, crunchy pods we used to scrounge from the fields and add to our mudpies.

Who'd'a thunk it?

Next thing you know, they're going to start selling field corn as Mayan maize or something. People already buy the field corn and stalks for decorations around Halloween. I wonder if they do that in central Indiana? That'd be almost as bad as someone from Connecticut buying rocks to decorate their yard.

Dag!
 

No comments: