1.12.2009

Project Weeknight: Potato & Leek Soup w/Kale

I'm trying to get back on the wagon here and do one Project Weeknight post per week. I'm still in hibernation mode so it's a hard climb. Even though last night wasn't a weeknight, this recipe might qualify for 45-min status, with a qualifier.

This recipe from Jaime at Cheap Healthy Good (one of my go-to blogs) was my inspiration, and I cracked open my brand new Christmas-gift copy of Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian for confirmation.

I made it pretty much as written. I was concerned that my 'bunch' of leeks (three chunky buddies) would overwhelm 2 cups of potatoes, so I used four small-side-of-medium Yukon Golds. Originally I was going to fry a strip of bacon and saute the leeks in the fat but I forgot. :( And oh yeah, I used chicken stock.

Here's the qualifier: I had a 2 cup portion of chopped, blanched kale in the freezer, and that's what gave this recipe its Potential Weeknight designation. I've learned the hard way that cleaning and chopping a bunch of kale after work puts me over my time (and patience) limit.

I peeled and diced the potatoes pretty small, maybe 1/2" cubes? I took a cue from Bittman's directions and threw the potatoes and leeks in together, sauteed for 4 or 5 minutes, then added the stock and simmered until the potatoes were completely done. I then hit the pot with the stick blender a few times and added the thawed chopped kale. I let it simmer just another minute or two and that was it.

I love me some potato soup. My favorite is the traditional cream and/or cheese-based type but my hips disagree. I didn't miss the cream... much, although next time I may try stirring in a little full-fat yogurt or sour cream at service.

Other than that, it hit the spot. I'm guessing it will be even better when reheated. Potatoes don't freeze for crap so the rest will have to be eaten this week.

Darn.

The ingredients list reminds me a lot of Colcannon. I'm thinking next time I could remember to start with the bacon and use regular onion instead of leeks, and call it Colcannon soup!
 

No comments: