1.18.2008

Friday

Discovery of the Day: Important banana safety tip

When making a batch of fruit salad large enough to last several days, wait and add the sliced bananas at serving time.

Fruit salad has been a lifesaver for me so far. I buy fresh pineapple already peeled (in the produce section), kiwi fruits, apples, grapes, and oranges. And the aforementioned bananas. The pineapples have a lot of juice so I really don't need to add anything else, although sometimes I add a little lime juice for fun. Even without the lime juice, the apples don't darken, and everything else holds up really well except for the bananas. They take on an... interesting texture after the first couple of days. Ick.

If I'm really feeling extravagant when I dish up a serving (usually ~1 cup), I'll put a few raisins on top. I am kind of amazed how sweet raisins seem all of a sudden.

I think I've kicked the morning grain habit -- I've replaced my Kashi cereal with a cup of fruit salad, some ground flaxseed, and 1 oz chopped walnuts. The flaxseed and walnuts give me the sense that I'm eating something other than a big bowl of fruit. And both are high in omega-3 fatty acids which are Important.

The only negative thing about fruit salad is that it takes time to make. Much more time-intensive than my beloved breakfast cereal. But a big bowl will last me 4 or 5 days. And I can eat some more for dessert, if I have a hankering.

I think I might branch out and try a mango or papaya or something like that. Ooo! Exotic!

No weight lost over the last day or two, but I have been pushing the limits with the whole grains. It looks like I'm going to have to be pretty diligent until I get the weight off.
 

No comments: