4.29.2008

Tuesday

Discovery of the day: Surviving Costa Rica

The good news: it's easy-peasy!

For the first time in recorded history, I made it back from vacation without gaining a single pound. My boyfriend lost a couple pounds but he doesn't recommend his method -- he got hit with a fast-moving intestinal bug.

I've decided that I am in love with gallo pinto, the unofficial Costa Rican national dish. It's black beans and rice, but it's so much more. The secret is Salsa Lizano, a beloved Costa Rican condiment with a worcestershirey-vinegary-'green' flavor. Good stuff!

The 90 deg temps helped suppress my appetite, and the abundance of fresh produce coupled with a reasonably safe water supply (and the fact that we rented a house --> we had a kitchen) made it all work. Plus, Costa Rica isn't a major food destination so the temptation to eat out a lot just wasn't there.

It was funny to see the signs for Quizno's, KFC, and Pizza Hut, though.

All in all, a good break. Now that I'm back at my desk, I realize how much of my eating comes from boredom. I've made great strides in controlling that over the years but there's still work to be done. There's always work to be done, isn't there?
 

No comments: