7.14.2008

Monday

Discovery of the day: Weekends

Old business first: I finished the last of the white bean dip yesterday and you know what? It was downright tasty. I think the basil flavor just was too delicate to come through right away. But after a couple of days it was lovely.

New business: I read something on WebMD recently that mentioned how weight-loss efforts are often sabotaged on weekends. That certainly seems to be true for me. During the week it's pretty easy to stick to the general plan, but I often reach the 'screw it, we're going out' threshold on weekends.

I stay in more (read: all the time) in the winter so I usually find it easy to plan and execute real meals. This summer, however, I have a lot of home & garden projects that need to be finished and by the time I finish spending 4 or 5 hours cleaning out the garage or sheet mulching the side flower bed, the last thing I want to do is stroll into the kitchen and start cooking. Especially since it's gorgeously warm now and we don't have air conditioning. Over 80 deg, there's not going to be a lot of cooking going on. I'm just sayin' is all. I'll throw together a default BAS if it's just me, but boyfriend and son are usually looking for something else. And one can only eat so many sandwiches.

So that's why we went out for Thai food last night.

The other problem on the weekends is that I (with help from my boyfriend) end up in the 'we've been good all week' trap. I know better, but I'm still pretty susceptible when he brings it up.

I need to come up with some strategies, which may well mean talking with the boyfriend about overcoming the 'weekend as reward' mentality. One dinner out I can handle, but add in a lunch or two and a trip to DQ and I'm losing ground.

And I probably need to come up another quick, cool dinner besides egg salad pitas. Not that there's anything wrong with that....
 

No comments: