10.27.2008

Monday

Discovery of the day: Squash-a-riffic!

Lately I've been having a hankering for squash, probably because just about every food blog I read has been posting squash recipes for the past couple of weeks. I succumbed on Sunday and tried this recipe for Spaghetti Squash New Mexican from Karina's Kitchen blog.

The beauty of this recipe is that other than a spaghetti squash and a small can of diced green chiles, I had everything else on hand. I did it mostly as written, except I used a cup of thawed frozen corn and 1/2 c diced red bell pepper instead of fresh corn. And of course the canned chiles instead of fresh. Oh, and I also forgot the lime. And I didn't use any garnishes. But other than that, I followed it exactly! :)

I think I overcooked the squash -- by the time I got it out of the over it was more of a mash than spaghetti-ish -- but it was still tasty. I heated the concoction through on the stove in the interest of time. Taking a cue from the Cook's Notes, I served it over polenta and it was very, very nice.

Next time, of course, I will try to not overcook the squash. I might even try chunks of butternut or something -- that could be cool. I'll try to remember the lime juice, too.

It got 'thumbs up' all around. It's not speedy enough to be a weeknight dish (unless I magically happened to have a pre-cooked squash lying around) but it's pretty dang easy for a weekend dinner.
 

No comments: