10.30.2008

Thursday

Discovery of the day: Candy from Hell

The one thing I dislike about this time of year is candy corn. I've disliked candy corn ever since I was old enough to realize that just because it's candy doesn't mean it's good. Oh yeah, and that applies to you as well, circus peanuts. (shudder!)

The ex and I used to joke that they actually stopped making candy corn in the 50's and have just been collecting, re-bagging, and reselling it ever since. And I almost half-believe that's true.

I (mistakenly) assumed that everyone in the known universe (meaning everyone I knew) felt the same way about candy corn. Which made this morning's blogwalk that much more of a shock.

Yes, there are people in the world who love candy corn so much that they will make it from scratch! Isn't that bizarre? I know!

I'm not vegan and don't aspire to be but I do read a lot of vegan food blogs. And, in case you didn't know, commercial candy corn contains gelatin, which even this non-vegan knows is animal protein at its most disgusting. If that's not bad enough, there's always the dreaded ubiquitous high-fructose corn syrup. So I suppose it was inevitable that not one, but two of my regular reads had (gulp!) home-made vegan candy corn recipes posted today, both variations of this one from The Urban Housewife.

As you may have guessed, I love figuring out how to make stuff from scratch, especially if it's something one usually buys from the store. But my loathing for those orange, yellow, and white triangles is deep enough from preventing me from even thinking about this one, even though it does look kind of fun.

But if you're one of those twisted candy corn lovers, take a look. And if you give it a go, let me know how it comes out. Just don't send me any!
 

No comments: