10.13.2008

Project Weeknight: Chickpea & Spinach Stew

OK, so it wasn't a weeknight, and I can't vouch for its acceptance by my son, but the recipe is quick & easy enough to qualify.

I had high hopes for this one. The reviews were good, I had everything on hand (OK, so I had to send my SO out for chickpeas. But I usually have them!) and once I read through the directions I realized I could simplify the process quite a bit.

I used a box of frozen spinach instead of fresh, so I didn't have to blanch it. I used a can of diced tomatoes w/juice, as suggested in the comments, instead of a fresh whole tomato. And instead of that fussy 'spiced garlic paste' thing, I ran the garlic through the garlic press and added it and the spices directly to the skillet with a pinch of salt. I was a little hesitant about using all that chickpea juice but decided to go for it. I didn't have golden raisins (and SO couldn't get them at the store) so I used 1/4 cup of some mixed raisins I had. I served it over brown rice.

I love all things chickpea and was sure that this would be a grand slam. Instead, it was... meh. And I doubt it was because of any of the changes I'd made. For one, it was too salty -- I think all that bean juice plus the salt I added was just too much once it was cooked down. Next time I'll use the juice from one can and supplement with water if necessary. And I think the spice combo was just lacking, although the raisins were nice.

I think it has potential. Next time I'll swap out the spice combo for something curry-ish. And you know what? I just realized that it's an awful lot like this recipe. With these two recipes to guide me, I bet I can come up with something of the chickpea & greens ilk that works for me.
 

No comments: