4.14.2009

Tuesday

Discovery of the day: Going au natural

I don't have the HCB post done yet, but I do have the results of another experiment to share.

The gray eggs on the left were dyed using beet juice. (They were s'posed to be red, honest.) The golden eggs were soaked in a dye made by boiling yellow onion skins and a couple of teaspoons of turmeric. Pretty cool, eh? Next year I'll try red onion skins for red/purple, and I've heard red cabbage will give a blue dye.

No, I have no idea why I decided at the last minute I wanted to color my eggs using homemade dyes, but it turned out to be a fun little project. I can't find the link to the site I used Saturday, but here's one link, and another link, to instructions for next year.

In the meantime, save those onion skins!
 

No comments: