4.08.2009

Wednesday

Discovery of the day: An opportunity to serve

Let's be frank here. I'm not a super-social person. I have a very small circle of close friends. Two or three is a circle, isn't it? And they don't all live on the same coast, either.

But even though I don't have a hopping social life, I do care about people I know, even if we're not close. I just don't put those thoughts and feelings into action like I should. I have good intentions, but am lousy on follow-through.

This weekend I have an opportunity to actually do something of value for someone I care about. This person is kind of special to us -- she's one of only a very few people who knew both me and my SO before we got together. We've been intending to socialize over the past couple of years, but everyone's busy, and blah, blah, blah... well, you know.

Anyway, she is having surgery for breast cancer today and my SO and I are bringing dinner over for her and her husband on Easter. I've been talking to her daughter (who's about my age) about preferences and quantities and such, and I think it's going to work very well since the foods they're thinking of match nicely with stuff we like to make. There will be a Big-Ass Ham, of course, and per their request just a few simple veggie sides. I can do that!

I'm anxious for them, hoping that they make it though today with minimal stress. And I'm happy for the opportunity to be of service to them.
 

No comments: