4.20.2009

Tuesday

Discovery of the day: To AB5 or Not to AB5?

So with this whole Bake Your Own Bread thing I've taken a shine to, you are probably asking yourself "Why doesn't she just get the 'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day' book and be done with it?"

I hear ya, believe me. Having a tub of bread dough in the fridge would make it a snap to bake whatever sort of delicious bread product I needed at a moment's notice.

And that, my friends, is the problem.

I have issues with bread and grains in general. I heart them. I could eat them three times a day for the rest of my life and be happy, happy, happy. And I would weigh 300 lbs.

When I tell myself 'but they're WHOLE grains', I promptly fall right into the Snackwell trap. Remember that? Everyone got on this big fat-free kick back in the early 1990s. Fat was the devil, and anything fat-free was king. Snackwell came out with their fat-free sugar bombs. Hey, it's fat-free, so we can eat as much as we want right? Well, I gained 15 lbs on a fat-free diet.

It took me a long time to learn that the only 'free' foods are veggies. Everything else has limits. And grains, for me, must be especially limited.

That's why I can't have a tub of AB5 dough at my disposal. That's why I can't have bread with dinner every night, or even more than once a day on a regular basis. And it's not just bread; pasta and rice suffer the same limitations. My recent lack of consistency in this area is one of the major reasons I've gained back 10 of the 15 pounds I lost last year.

Honest, AB5. It's not you. It's me.
 

No comments: