6.30.2008

Monday

Discovery of the day: Hhhhhotttttt!

It hit the upper 80s this weekend and we all thought we were going to die. I know that will seem ridiculous to most of the country, but it's true. We don't do heat well up here. No air conditioning.

Sat. night we had egg salad pitas with baby carrots and marinated cukes (or what we used to call refrigerator pickles*) on the side. But Sunday was tough. It was even hotter. Had errands to do and while we were out and about my son campaigned successfully for McD's for lunch. I got my usual, a regular old hamburger, although I did have to eat some fries.

By the time we got done finishing up the chores around the house that afternoon, we were soaked! Even the thought of throwing together a BAS was too much. So we went out to a restaurant with cold beer and a deck overlooking the water. The steak salad I ordered was adequate, but you know, sitting outside on the deck with a beer it wasn't nearly as disappointing as it would have been had we eaten inside.

The dessert menu was uninspiring so we stopped for a pint of Ben & Jerry's on the way home. My boyfriend wanted to cut it in half with the electric knife and just go for it but I managed to talk him into accepting the suggested serving size.

(Besides, that leaves dessert for tonight.)

I'm trying not to get too panicky about slacking off on the weekends. As long as I don't go nuts every weekend, I should be able to keep things under control.

*BTW, here's how I make Refrigerator Pickles.
Refrigerator Pickles

3 cukes, peeled, sliced into 1/4" or thinner rounds
1 onion, peeled and sliced into thin rounds (optional)
1 T salt
3 T sugar
1 t dill (I used dried)
1+ c white vinegar

Place cukes in a glass or plastic storage container. Sprinkle with sugar and salt, stir a bit, and let sit for a few minutes. Just barely cover with vinegar and sprinkle with dill. Give it a couple of stirs.

Cover container and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour.

They get better as they sit. I'm not sure how long they keep -- mine are usually gone in a week (or less).
 

1 comment:

Karen Frisa said...

I love the electric knife idea! Too funny! Fortunately I don't have to share my ice cream...