6.12.2008

Thursday

Discovery of the day: Monster mash
(The sun! It just came out! I haven't been outside to check the temps yet but the weather report says mid-50s. It might even break 60 today!)

I got on the scale this morning to see another .5 drop but that's because I never did get around to eating dinner last night. That's one advantage to an evening running class: you can't really eat a big meal before, and by the time you get home at 7:45, there's really not much point, is there?

So I snacked a little and ended up eating a bowl of shredded wheat. I haven't yet figured out how to keep a small amount of cow's milk around for those cereal emergencies, so I improvised and used part soymilk, part rice milk.

You know what? It was all right. I think that pretty much solves my cereal problem. Yay!

Tonight I'm thinking of taking a second stab at a Colcannon recipe I'd tried before. It's mashed potatoes and kale, purportedly based on an Irish dish of potatoes and cabbage. Maybe, but it's suspiciously similar to a recipe I got many years ago from my MIL (who was in no way Irish) called 'spinach potatoes'. Family lore is that it was a Depression-era dish. Her version was mashed potatoes, bacon, onion, and spinach. How can that possibly be bad? We used to grate parmesan on top. Mmmm....

Last time I made the kale version, it was a little... meh. Therefore I am planning on using a slice of bacon for flavor this time. I'll sauté onion in the bacon fat, rough-mash the potatoes with a little alt.milk, and throw it all together with the steamed chopped kale. Then I'm going to try something different; pack it all in to a hot skillet and brown the bottom until it's nice and crusty, like a potato pancake or hash brown.

I'll probably up the kale content quite a bit, too, to make up for the non-BAS-ness of it all. There will be parmesan on top, of course.

Today we had another office birthday lunch. I ate a piece each of pizza and cake. I feel like I need a nap. I brought a BAS that I was going to eat beforehand but never quite got to it. Maybe I'll eat it later to push the pizza through.

Thank heavens there are only 7 of us in the office....
 

No comments: