6.18.2008

Wednesday

Discovery of the day: I >heart< Skillet Gardener's Pie

I am thrilled to report that the Skillet Gardener's Pie last night was great. I followed the recipe as written... almost. I used chicken stock, added some high-quality beef bouillon, used frozen spinach instead of fresh (I drained, squeezed and chopped it a bit first), and sauteed the vegs in a tablespoon or so of olive oil. And I used two cans of kidney beans, drained. I forgot to save some of the potato water which kind of bummed me out. But otherwise, mine looked just like the photo!

Acceptability factor was high. It's rare for my son to buy into a (mostly) vegetarian recipe. The mound of mashed tatties on top didn't hurt. :) Next time I might add a zucchini. I do love me some zucchini.

I get home about 5:45 on weeknights and I try to get dinner on the table by 6:30. It took an hour of fast and furious cooking to put this together; we didn't eat until 6:45. That's a little later for me so this won't go into the quick-and-easy weeknight file. But I would definitely cook up a big batch of the vegs over the weekend to freeze then cook up the mashers fresh as needed.

I have some left for lunch today and I am totally looking forward to it. This is one of the few veg recipes I've found online that I know I will make again.

This eve promises to be dicey, food-wise. I'll be leaving work early to trek over to the hospital to pick up my boyfriend then turn right around for the 1.5 hr trip back home. If we're lucky we'll be home by 8 pm. It'll be catch as catch can for dinner and I know he'll be starving since he's been NPO since midnight.

That'll be fun, huh?

No comments: