6.03.2008

Tuesday

Discovery of the day: Day in the life

I know my loyal readers are reader is dying to know what it is that I eat on a good day. By 'good' day, I mean a day where I feel like I'm on track. So I will indulge myself by listing the contents of my stomach at the end of a good day.

Breakfast: About 1-1.5 cups of fruit, usually some combo of fresh pineapple, mango, grapes, and banana. Optimally with some ground flaxseed and chopped walnuts on top. If I'm behind in my fruit prep, I'll grab an apple and a banana. If I'm really behind on shopping, peanut butter toast. Also, a "cup" (read: probably 12-16 oz) of strong decaf coffee with soymilk and a Splenda.

Snack ~10 am, to counteract the acid from all that coffee: Two Wasa crispbreads with 1-2 tablespoons of natural crunchy peanut butter. Or a banana.

Lunch: BAS, about 6 oz of romaine with some combination of beanage, avocado, hummus, cherry tomatoes, sliced cukes, shoestring beets, and/or quinoa on top. Or it may be topped with 1-2 c of leftovers from dinner, most likely a rice & bean thing.

Snack, mid-afternoon boredom setting in: A banana if I didn't eat it already, apple, a small handful of raw almonds, or a larger handful of edamame. Maybe two snacks if I'm really bored. Often I'll succumb to a tall decaf drip with cold soy from Starbuck's. On a good day, I can pass on the dark chocolate grahams.

Dinner: If it's just me, another BAS. It's the new sandwich, you know. If I'm cooking for son & boyfriend, it may be a rice & bean thing or other vegetarian entree, or a simple soup (egg drop with kale or spinach - mmmm!) or 'Taco del Mom', cheese quesadilla served with rice and refried beans and guacamole. I throw mine on romaine. If I'm cooking just for my son, we'll play Mom's Diner. He can have whatever he wants (usually mac & cheese or scrambled eggs w/cheese + toast) and I have a BAS.

Dessert: If I need it, an ounce of bittersweet chocolate. I buy Callebaut in bulk from the fancy-pants grocery. It's pure perfection, and the taste is strong enough so that an ounce is plenty. If we have Skinny Cow mint ice cream sandwiches on hand, I can't resist them. They're pricey but damned good.

And there you go. A day in the life of my stomach. I just finished my afternoon decaf and am about to hit the edamame and maybe the banana. Tonight's dinner will be gallo pinto and the 5 ears of sweet corn I bought at lunchtime. First sweet corn of the season - yay! And since it's PMS week, there will definitely be chocolate.
 

No comments: